1 someone who imports or exports without paying duties [syn: smuggler, contrabandist, moon curser, moon-curser]
2 someone who travels on foot by running
3 a person who is employed to deliver messages or documents; "he sent a runner over with the contract"
4 a baseball player on the team at bat who is on base (or attempting to reach a base) [syn: base runner]
5 a horizontal branch from the base of plant that produces new plants from buds at its tips [syn: stolon, offset]
6 a trained athlete who competes in foot races
7 a long narrow carpet
8 device consisting of the parts on which something can slide along
- Rhymes: -ʌnə(r)
- Agent noun of run; somebody who runs.
- A quick escape away from a scene.
- He did a runner after robbing the drugstore
- A type of soft-soled shoe originally intended for runners, cf trainer; a sneaker.
- A part of an apparatus that moves quickly
- After the cycle completes, the runner travels back quickly to be in place for the next cycle.
- A mechanical part intended for wheels to run on or to slide against another surface.
- A strip of fabric used to decorate a table.
- The red runner makes the table so festive.
- A protective carpet cover for a high traffic area.
- How about we put down a clear runner in the front hall.
- (scuffleball) a forward playing position.
- a player who runs for a batsman who is too injured to run; he is dressed exactly as the injured batsman, and carries a bat.
- A player who runs the bases.
- A person (from one or the other team) who runs out onto the
field during the game to take verbal instructions from the coach to
the players. A runner mustn't interfere with play, and may have to
wear an identifying shirt to make clear his or her purpose on the
- The runner was out at second.
- A part of a cigarette that is burning unevenly.
- A long stolon sent out by a plant (such as strawberry), in order to root new plantlets.
somebody who runs
- Finnish: juoksija
- French: courreur
- German: Läufer
- Hungarian: futó
- Italian: podista, corridore
- Swedish: löpare
a quick escape away from a scene
- Finnish: livistys
part of unevenly burning cigarette
- Swedish: snedfitta
a mechanical part intended for wheels to run on or to slide against another surface
- Finnish: liukukisko
a strip of fabric used to decorate a table
- Finnish: pöytäliina
a protective carpet cover for a high traffic area
- Finnish: matto
- Finnish: rönsy
- Swedish: utlöpare
Runner may refer to:
- Someone or something who runs
- Baserunner, an offensive player in baseball who has successfully reached base
- Gilera Runner, a moped/scooter manufactured by Gilera
- Runner (band)
- Runner (cricket), a player who runs for an injured batsman
- Runner (comics), a Marvel Comics character
- Runner (film), a film by the British artist Ravi Deepres
- Runner (Logans Run), a type of character in the film Logan's Run
- Runner (song), a 1984 hit single by Manfred Mann's Earth Band
- Runner (Stargate), a type of character in the fictional Stargate universe
- "Runner" (Stargate Atlantis), an episode of the television series Stargate Atlantis
- USS Runner (SS-275), Gato-class submarine, 1942–1943
- USS Runner (SS-476), Tench-class submarine, 1944–1971
Runner may also refer to:
- Athletic shoe
- Television crew Runner, the most junior members of a television crew
- Stolon, an aerial shoot from a plant with the ability to produce adventitious roots and new clones
- Sling (climbing equipment)
- Long, flat, smooth ski-like glides on a sled
- Any of several members of the carangidae family of fishes
- The rotating driven element of a water turbine (hydroelectric) generator
runner in Japanese: ランナー
Hermes, Iris, Jehu, Mercury, Paul Revere, Pheidippides, Skimobile, Sno-Cat, agent, appendage, arm, bine, blade, bough, branch, branchedness, branchiness, burgeon, carrier, commissionaire, conductor, contrabandist, courier, creeper, deadwood, diplomatic courier, driver, emissary, engineer, estafette, express, flagellum, flier, fork, frond, functionary, gate, go-between, goer, gofer, gunrunner, hand, handler, hell-driver, horse racer, hummer, hurdler, hustler, imp, ingate, jockey, jogger, joint, leg, limb, link, lobe, lobule, manipulator, member, message-bearer, messenger, nuncio, offshoot, operant, operative, operator, organ, page, pilot, pinion, post, postboy, postrider, racer, ramage, ramification, rumrunner, sarment, scion, scorcher, shoot, sizzler, sled, sleigh, slip, smuggler, snowmobile, spear, speed demon, speeder, spray, sprig, sprit, sprout, sprue, spur, steersman, stem, stepper, stolon, sucker, switch, tail, tedge, tendril, thallus, turfman, twig, weasel, wing