1 the position where someone (as a guard or sentry) stands or is assigned to stand; "a soldier manned the entrance post"; "a sentry station" [syn: station]
2 military installation at which a body of troops is stationed; "this military post provides an important source of income for the town nearby"; "there is an officer's club on the post" [syn: military post]
3 a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury" [syn: position, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation]
4 an upright consisting of a piece of timber or metal fixed firmly in an upright position; "he set a row of posts in the ground and strung barbwire between them"
5 United States aviator who in 1933 made the first solo flight around the world (1899-1935) [syn: Wiley Post]
6 United States female author who wrote a book and a syndicated newspaper column on etiquette (1872-1960) [syn: Emily Post, Emily Price Post]
7 United States manufacturer of breakfast cereals and Postum (1854-1914) [syn: C. W. Post, Charles William Post]
8 any particular collection of letters or packages that is delivered; "your mail is on the table"; "is there any post for me?"; "she was opening her post" [syn: mail]
9 a pole or stake set up to mark something (as the start or end of a race track); "a pair of posts marked the goal"; "the corner of the lot was indicated by a stake" [syn: stake]
10 the system whereby messages are transmitted via the post office; "the mail handles billions of items every day"; "he works for the United States mail service"; "in England they call mail `the post'" [syn: mail, mail service, postal service]
11 the delivery and collection of letters and packages; "it came by the first post"; "if you hurry you'll catch the post"
1 affix in a public place or for public notice; "post a warning"
2 publicize with, or as if with, a poster; "I'll post the news on the bulletin board"
3 assign to a post; put into a post; "The newspaper posted him in Timbuktu"
5 display, as of records in sports games
6 enter on a public list
7 transfer (entries) from one account book to another [syn: carry]
8 ride Western style and bob up and down in the saddle in in rhythm with a horse's trotting gait
9 mark with a stake; "stake out the path" [syn: stake]
10 put up; "post a sign"; "post a warning at the dump" [syn: put up]
11 cause to be directed or transmitted to another place; "send me your latest results"; "I'll mail you the paper when it's written" [syn: mail, send]
12 mark or expose as infamous; "She was branded a loose woman" [syn: brand]
EtymologyFrom and post, from postis.
- A long dowel or plank protruding from the ground; a fence post; a light post.
- An assigned station; a guard post.
- A location on a basketball court near the basket.
- A particular method of sending mail; sent via post.
- : a stud; a two-by-four.
- In the context of "vocal|_|music|esp.|_|a cappella": a prolonged final melody note, among moving harmony notes.
- A pole in a battery
- An individual message in a forum
- In the context of "paper|printing": A printing paper size measuring 19.25 inches x 15.5 inches.
long dowel or plank protruding from the ground
- Greek: στύλος, πάσσαλος
- Russian: столб
location on a basketball court
method of sending mail
- Greek: ταχυδρομικώς (=by mail)
(construction) stud; two-by-four
(vocal music, eps. a capella) prolonged final melody note
- To hang a notice in a
conspicuous manner for general review.
- Post no bills.
- To send mail.
- Mail items posted before 7.00pm within the Central Business District and before 5.00pm outside the Central Business District will be delivered the next working day.
- To send a message to a Usenet newsgroup or to a mailing
list; to save a message on a blog.
- I couldn't figure it out so I posted a question on Usenet.
- To pay a blind
- Since Jim was new to the game, he had to post $4 in order to receive a hand.
to hang a notice in a conspicuous manner
to send mail
- Greek: ταχυδρομώ
(internet) to send a message to a Usenet; to save a message on a blog
(poker) to pay a blind
- trreq Hebrew
With the post, on post horses; express, with speed
sent via the postal service
Prepositionpost + accusative
- behind (in space), after (in time), subordinate to (in rank)
- fast (act or practice of abstaining from or eating very little food)
- postal office; an organization delivering mail and parcels
- (mass noun) mail; collectively for things sent through a post office
- item of a list or on an agenda
- post; an assigned station
- position to which
someone may be assigned or elected
- Posten som ordförande i idrottsföreningen är vakant. = The position as chairman in the sports association is free.
post - Prefix with latin origin - meaning "after".
Post may refer to:
- An entry in a blog or internet forum, an e-mail or Usenet message (also see: posting style)
- Mail, the postal system, especially in Commonwealth of Nations countries
- Pole, a
long and straight stick, usually vertical which may be a structural
element in post and
- Pillar, a structural element of a car body
- Abbreviation of Post Production, the process that occurs in the making of audio recordings, films/movies, photography, digital art, videos and television programs. It is the general term for all stages of production occurring after the actual recording and ending with the completed work.
- The "Post" is the name of a number of newspapers including:
- Post (album), by Björk
- Post Cereals
- A military base
- Posting (laundering process), or postadh, a traditional Scottish method of washing clothes
- The Posting system, a transfer system for baseball players moving from a Japanese baseball team to a Major League Baseball team
- Posting the trot or canter
- Post (route), a route run by a receiver in American Football
- Post Records, a record label
- Post Magazine, a magazine
- Post player, a basketball term to denote forwards and centers who play their positions near the basket
- Post, Texas, the county seat of Garza County
- A prefix used to describe an idea or movement indicating that it came after/was influenced by another, such as Post Modernism
The initialism POST may refer to:
For people with the surname Post see Post (surname)
post in Arabic: بريد
post in Danish: Post
post in German: Post (Begriffsklärung)
post in Spanish: Post
post in French: Post
post in Dutch: Post
post in Japanese: POST
post in Norwegian: Post
post in Portuguese: Post
post in Romanian: Poşta (dezambiguizare)
post in Russian: Post
post in Finnish: Post
post in Swedish: Post (olika betydelser)
post in Chinese: POST
Hermes, Iris, Mercury, PP, Paul Revere, Pheidippides, RD, RFD, Samson post, accredit, acquaint, acropolis, advertise, advise, affiliate, affix, air-express, airfreight, airmail, angle, announce, appoint, appointment, apprise, arcade, arm, assign, assignment, atlas, authorize, balance, balance the books, ballyhoo, baluster, balustrade, banister, bark, base, bastion, beachhead, beam, berth, bill, billet, blockhouse, board, boarding, bolt, bond, book, book post, boost, bottomry, boutique, brace, branch, branch office, bridgehead, brief, build up, bulletin, bundle, bunker, bustle, calendar, capitalize, career, carrier, carry, carry over, carve, caryatid, cast up accounts, castle, catalog, chain store, chalk, chalk up, chapter, charge, charge off, charter, chase, check in, chore, chronicle, circularize, circulate, citadel, clapboard, close out, close the books, clue, co-op, collection, colonnade, colonnette, column, come across, come across with, come down with, come through with, commission, commissionaire, commit, concession, connection, consign, cooperative, cord, cordwood, correspondence, cough up, countinghouse, country store, courier, credit, crowd, cry up, cut, dado, dart, dash, dash off, dash on, deal, debit, delegate, delivery, department store, deposit, depute, deputize, detach, detail, devolute, devolve, devolve upon, die, dime store, diplomatic courier, direct mail, direct-mail selling, discount house, discount store, dispatch, distance, division, docket, donjon, doorjamb, doorpost, double-time, driftwood, drop a letter, duty, embark, emissary, employment, emporium, empower, engagement, engrave, enroll, enscroll, enter, entrust, enumerate, establish, establishment, estafette, expedite, export, express, fasthold, fastness, festinate, file, fill in, fill out, firewood, five-and-ten, fling, footing, footstalk, fork over, fort, fortress, forward, fourth-class mail, frank, freight, function, garrison, garrison house, gatepost, general store, get going, get moving, gig, give a write-up, give in charge, give publicity, go bail, go-between, grave, grease the palm, ground, halfpenny post, handsel, hardwood, haste, hasten, hie, hitching post, hock, hold, house, hump, hump it, hurry, hurry on, hurry through, hurry up, hurry-scurry, hurtle, hustle, hypothecate, impanel, impignorate, incise, incumbency, index, inform, inscribe, insert, inventory, itemize, jack, jamb, job, jot down, journalize, junk mail, keep, keep books, keep score, kick in, king post, lath, lathing, lathwork, lay on one, leap, leg, letter post, letters, license, list, local, locate, lodge, log, lose no time, lumber, magasin, mail, mail-order house, mail-order selling, mailing list, make a memorandum, make a note, make an entry, make haste, make out, mark down, market, mart, martello, martello tower, matriculate, message-bearer, messenger, milepost, minute, mission, moonlighting, mortgage, mote, motte, move quickly, mullion, necropsy, newel, newel-post, newspaper post, note, note down, notify, nuncio, office, offshoot, opening, organ, pale, panelboard, paneling, panelwork, parcel post, park, pawn, pedestal, pedicel, peduncle, peel, peel tower, peristyle, perspective, picket, pier, pigeonhole, pilaster, pile, piling, pillar, pillbox, placard, place, place upon record, plank, planking, pledge, plinth, plug, plunge, plunk down, plyboard, plywood, pole, poll, pony up, portico, pose, posit, position, post bills, post day, post up, postal service, postboy, poster, postmortem, postmortem examination, postrider, press on, press-agent, proclaim, program, promote, promulgate, prop, propagate, publicize, publish, puff, puncheon, push on, put, put down, put in hock, put in pawn, put in writing, put on paper, put on tape, put up, pylon, queen-post, race, rath, record, reduce to writing, register, registered mail, remit, retail store, role, run, runner, rural delivery, rural free delivery, rush, rush through, safehold, salon, scamper, schedule, scoot, score, scour, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, sea mail, seapost, seat, second job, sell, send, send away, send forth, send off, send out, service, set, set down, shaft, shake, sheathing, sheathing board, sheeting, shingle, ship, shoot, shop, shore, sideboard, siding, signpost, situate, situation, skedaddle, slab, slat, snubbing post, socle, softwood, special delivery, special handling, spiel, splat, spot, spout, spurt, staff, stake, stalk, stanchion, stand, standard, standing, station, status, stave, stay, stem, step on it, stick, stick of wood, stile, store, stovewood, strike a balance, strong point, stronghold, strut, stump up, subbase, submit, supermarket, support, surbase, surface mail, tabulate, take down, tally, tape, tape-record, task, tear, telamon, tell, tenure, three-by-four, tickle the palm, timber, timbering, timberwork, tower, tower of strength, trading post, transfer, transmit, trunk, two-by-four, upright, vacancy, variety shop, variety store, venue, videotape, viewpoint, ward, warehouse, wareroom, warn, warrant, weatherboard, wholesale house, wing, wood, work, write, write down, write in, write out, write up