1 how something is done or how it happens; "her dignified manner"; "his rapid manner of talking"; "their nomadic mode of existence"; "in the characteristic New York style"; "a lonely way of life"; "in an abrasive fashion" [syn: manner, style, way, fashion]
2 a particular functioning condition or arrangement; "switched from keyboard to voice mode"
3 a classification of propositions on the basis of whether they claim necessity or possibility or impossibility [syn: modality]
4 verb inflections that express how the action or state is conceived by the speaker [syn: mood, modality]
5 any of various fixed orders of the various diatonic notes within an octave [syn: musical mode]
6 the most frequent value of a random variable [syn: modal value]
- Rhymes: -əʊd
Etymology 1From modus.
- One of several ancient scales, one of which corresponds to the modern major scale and one to the natural minor scale
- A particular means of accomplishing something.
- What was the mode of entry?
- A value occurring most frequently in a distribution
- In the context of "mathematics|physics": A state of a system that is represented by an eigenfunction of that system.
- One of various related sets of rules for processing data.
- In insert mode, characters typed are directly inserted into the buffer
- Czech: modus
state of a system represented by an eigenfunction of that system
- Dutch: modus
Etymology 2From mode.
- Style or fashion.
Derived termsà la mode
- Plural of moda
Mode may mean:
- Mode (literature)
- Mode (statistics), the value that has the largest number of observations
- Musical mode, a kind of musical device
- Mode (computer interface), distinct method of operation within a computer program, in which the same user input can produce different results depending of the state of the computer
- Grammatical mood
- Normal mode, patterns of vibration in acoustics, electromagnetic theory, etc,
- Transport mode, a means of transportation
- Mode Records, a record label
- MODE Magazine, a now out-of-print US women's fashion magazine created specifically to feature fashions over a US size 14 with a Vogue magazine-like creative aesthetic; see plus-size model
- Mode magazine, a fictional fashion magazine which is the setting for the ABC series Ugly Betty
mode in Czech: Mód
mode in Spanish: Modo
mode in French: Mode
mode in Korean: 모드
mode in Italian: Moda (disambigua)
mode in Dutch: Modus
Aeolian mode, Aristotelian sorites, Dorian mode, Goclenian sorites, Greek modes, Hindu mode, Indian mode, Locrian mode, Lydian mode, MO, Phrygian mode, Platonic form, Platonic idea, SOP, aesthetic form, affectation, algorithm, approach, archetype, art form, attack, authentic mode, bearings, bon ton, build, case, cast, categorical syllogism, chic, circumstance, command of language, complexion, condition, conditional, configuration, conformation, convention, course, craze, cry, custom, cut, dilemma, enthymeme, estate, exaggeration, expression of ideas, fad, fashion, feeling for words, figuration, figure, fix, footing, form, form of speech, format, formation, frame, furore, genre, grace of expression, grandiloquence, guise, haute couture, high fashion, hypoaeolian mode, hypodorian mode, hypoionian mode, hypolocrian mode, hypolydian mode, hypomixolydian mode, hypophrygian mode, imperative, impression, indicative, inflation, inner form, jam, jussive, layout, line, line of action, lines, literary style, location, look, lot, major mode, make, makeup, manner, manner of speaking, manner of working, mannerism, matrix, means, method, methodology, minor mode, mixolydian mode, modality, mode of expression, mode of operation, mode of procedure, model, modus, modus operandi, modus tollens, mold, mood, obligative, octave species, optative, order, paralogism, pass, pattern, peculiarity, permissive, personal style, pickle, place, plagal mode, plight, position, posture, potential, practice, predicament, prevailing taste, procedure, proceeding, process, proper thing, prosyllogism, prototype, pseudosyllogism, raga, rage, rank, rhetoric, routine, rule, rule of deduction, sense of language, set, set-up, shape, significant form, situation, sorites, spot, stamp, standard operating procedure, standing, state, station, status, strain, stream of fashion, structure, style, stylistic analysis, stylistics, subjunctive, swim, syllogism, system, tack, technique, tenor, the drill, the grand style, the how, the plain style, the sublime, the way of, tone, trend, trick, turn, type, vein, vogue, way, wise