Malacology is the branch of invertebrate zoology which deals with the study of mollusks, the second-largest phylum of animals in terms of described species. One division of malacology, conchology, is devoted to the study of the shells of mollusks.
Fields of malacological research include taxonomy, ecology, and evolution. Applied malacology studies medical, veterinary, and agricultural applications, for example mollusks as mediators of such diseases as schistosomiasis.
Archaeology employs malacology to understand the evolution of the climate, the biota of the area, and the usage of the site.
In 1794, the first compilation of mollusks was published. In 1868, the German Malacological Society was founded.
- American Malacological Society
- Association of Polish Malacologists (Stowarzyszenie Malakologów Polskich)
- Belgian Malacological Society (Société Belge de Malacologie) - French speaking
- Belgian Society for Conchology (Belgische Vereniging voor Conchyliologie) - Dutch speaking
- Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Conchologists of America
- Dutch Malacological Society (Nederlandse Malacologische Vereniging)
- Estonian Malacological Society (Eesti Malakoloogia Ühing)
- European Quaternary Malacologists
- Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society
- German Malacological Society (Deutsche Malakozoologische Gesellschaft)
- Italian Malacological Society (Società Italiana di Malacologia)
- Malacological Society of Australasia
- Malacological Society of London
- Malacological Society of the Philippines, Inc.
- Spanish Malacological Society (Sociedad Española de Malacología)
- Western Society of Malacologists
Further bibliographic detail
- Editors are L R Cox and J F Peake Proceedings of the First European Malacological Congress September 17-21 1962. Text in English with black and white photographic reproductions, also maps and diagrams.
- D. Heppel, "The long dawn of Malacology: a brief history of malacology from prehistory to the year 1800." Archives of Natural History 22 (3): 301–319 (October 1995).
malacologist in Catalan: Malacologia
malacologist in Czech: Malakologie
malacologist in German: Malakologie
malacologist in Estonian: Malakoloogia
malacologist in Spanish: Malacología
malacologist in French: Malacologie
malacologist in Interlingua (International Auxiliary Language Association): Malacologia
malacologist in Italian: Malacologia
malacologist in Georgian: მალაკოლოგია
malacologist in Latin: Malacologia
malacologist in Lithuanian: Malakologija
malacologist in Dutch: Malacologie
malacologist in Japanese: 軟体動物学
malacologist in Norwegian: Malakologi
malacologist in Occitan (post 1500): Malacologia
malacologist in Polish: Malakologia
malacologist in Portuguese: Malacologia
malacologist in Romanian: Malacologie
malacologist in Russian: Малакология
malacologist in Simple English: Malacology
malacologist in Tetum: Malakolojia
malacologist in Thai: สังขวิทยา
malacologist in Ukrainian: Малакологія