1 remain present although waning or gradually dying; "Her perfume lingered on"
2 be about; "The high school students like to loiter in the Central Square"; "Who is this man that is hanging around the department?" [syn: loiter, lounge, footle, lollygag, loaf, lallygag, hang around, mess about, tarry, lurk, mill about, mill around]
3 leave slowly and hesitantly [syn: tarry]
5 move to and fro; "The shy student lingered in the corner" [syn: hover]
- Rhymes: -ɪŋɡə(r)
to stay or remain
Linger may mean:
- Linger, Luxembourg, a town in Bascharage, Luxembourg.
- Linger (song), a song by the Irish rock band The Cranberries.
- Linger (Jonatha Brooke song), a song by American folk-rock singer-songwriter Jonatha Brooke.
- Linger (film), a 2008 film directed by Johnnie To.
- Linger, a word used to describe friends or acquiantances who say or do silly things. Also appropriately used to offend people in place of swearing for e.g. "You linger!"
abide, amble, await, bide, bide the issue, carry on, cease not, continue, crawl, creep, dally, dawdle, delay, diddle, dillydally, dither, doodle, drag, drag along, drag on, drift, dwell on, elaborate, endure, fall behind, falter, flag, get behind, go along, go on, goof off, halt, hang about, hang around, hang back, hang on, harp on, hold everything, hold on, hold steady, hold your horses, idle, jog on, keep going, keep on, labor, lag, linger behind, linger on, loiter, lollygag, mark time, mope, mosey, muck, never cease, pause, persevere, persist, piddle, poke, procrastinate, put off, remain, run on, shilly-shally, sit tight, sit up, slog on, stagger on, stay, stay on, stay up, stick around, straggle, stroll, survive, take time, tarry, temporize, trail, trail behind, wait, wait a minute, wait and see, waste time, wear on