1 a person regarded as greedy and pig-like [syn: pig]
3 domestic swine [syn: pig, grunter, squealer, Sus scrofa] v : take greedily; take more than one's share [also: hogging, hogged]
EtymologyOld Norse hoggva = "to strike", "to cut". "Hog" originally meant a castrated male pig. (Compare "hoggett" for a castrated male sheep.)
- To greedily take
more than one's share.
- Hey! Quit hogging all the blankets.
- road hog (someone who drives dangerously without caring about others)
Hog may refer to:
- M60 machine gun, also referred to as a 'pig'
- Arkansas Razorbacks
- Hogging and sagging, a condition on a ship where the keel is under a bending load, forced upwards amidships and sagging at bow and stern. In wooden ships, this can be come a permanent deformation of the keel.
- Hogging, a practice among certain men that entails seeking out obese women for sexual encounters
hog, a user, program or system that places excessive load on a
server such that the server performance is degraded
- Also used to describe any person or process that consumes undue resources
- Hammer of God - A security penetration testing group
- The Hammer of God - A science fiction novel by Arthur C. Clarke
- Higher-order grammar, a formal grammar framework
- Heart of Greed
- Head of Government
- House of Guitars, a famous guitar store in Rochester, New York.
- slang means consuming much at one time
hog in German: HOG
hog in Italian: HOG
adopt, appropriate, arrogate, assume, barrow, belly-god, boar, careerist, colonize, conquer, cormorant, corner, egotist, engross, enslave, forestall, fortune hunter, gilt, glutton, gorger, gormand, gormandizer, gourmand, gourmandizer, greedy eater, greedygut, greedyguts, guttler, husky eater, indent, individualist, jump a claim, lone wolf, loner, make free with, make use of, monopolist, monopolize, narcissist, occupy, overrun, pig, piggy, piglet, pigling, porker, preempt, preoccupy, prepossess, razorback, requisition, road hog, self-advancer, self-pleaser, self-seeker, self-server, shoat, sit on, slattern, sloven, slut, sow, squat on, subjugate, suckling pig, swine, take all of, take it all, take over, take possession of, take up, temporizer, tie up, timepleaser, timeserver, trencherman, trencherwoman, tufthunter, tusker, usurp, wild boar