- A heterosexual person.
- A heterosexual or hetero (person).
History and demographicsThe prevalence of exclusive heterosexuality has varied over the centuries and also from culture to culture. See Demographics of sexual orientation
The history of heterosexuality is part of the history of sexuality. That history and science derivative of it is far from complete. Owing to complications of human politics and prejudice, coupled with the malleable nature of human behaviour, it will be some time before the history and nature of all forms of human sexual behaviour are truly known.
SlangThe term "straight" originated as a mid-20th century gay slang term for heterosexuals, ultimately coming from the phrase "to go straight" (as in "straight and narrow"), or stop engaging in homosexual sex. One of the first uses of the word in this way was in 1941 by author G. W. Henry. Henry's book concerned conversations with homosexual males and used this term in connection with the reference to ex-gays. It currently simply is a colloquial term for "heterosexual" having, like many words, changed in primary meaning over time.
The term breeder, a word which is normally applied to animals, is sometimes used to describe heterosexuals in a negative way. Another slang term referring to male heterosexuals is "egg packer", which mocks the connotation of the slang term for male homosexuals, "fudge packer."
- Wikholm, Andrew, "Words: Heterosexual". Gay History.com. (Cited February 14, 2004)
- "Straight, Ex-gay". Descriptors for Sexual Minorities. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, H2G2. BBC. (Cited February 14, 2004)
- "Answers to Your Questions About Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality" American Psychiatric Association. (Cited February 9, 2004)
- "Heterosexual Sex". World Sex Explorer. (Cited February 14, 2004)
- Katz, Jonathan Ned (1995) The Invention of Heterosexuality. NY, NY: Dutton (Penguin Books). ISBN 0-525-93845-1.
- Johnson, P (2005) Love, Heterosexuality and Society. Routledge: London.
- Kinsey, Alfred C., et al., "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male". Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-33412-8
- Kinsey, Alfred C., et al., "Sexual Behavior in the Human Female". Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-33411-X
- Keel, Robert O., "Heterosexual Deviance". (Goode, 1994, chapter 8, and Chapter 9, 6th edition, 2001.) Sociology of Deviant Behavior: FS 2003, University of Missouri - St. Louis.
- "Heterosexual partner rights raise questions". The News' View, Yale Daily News Publishing Company. January 27, 2004.
- Coleman, Thomas F., "What's Wrong with Excluding Heterosexual Couples from Domestic Partner Benefits Programs?". Unmarried America, American Association for Single People.
- "Confidential Heterosexuality". Heterosexual Experience Stories. Raw Psychology Productions.
hetero in Afrikaans: Heteroseksualiteit
hetero in Arabic: مغايرة
hetero in Bosnian: Heteroseksualnost
hetero in Breton: Arallrevelezh
hetero in Catalan: Heterosexualitat
hetero in Czech: Heterosexualita
hetero in Danish: Heteroseksualitet
hetero in German: Heterosexualität
hetero in Estonian: Heteroseksuaalsus
hetero in Spanish: Heterosexualidad
hetero in Esperanto: Aliseksamo
hetero in Persian: دگرجنسگرایی
hetero in French: Hétérosexualité
hetero in Korean: 이성애
hetero in Croatian: Heteroseksualnost
hetero in Indonesian: Heteroseksual
hetero in Icelandic: Gagnkynhneigð
hetero in Italian: Eterosessualità
hetero in Hebrew: הטרוסקסואליות
hetero in Georgian: ჰეტეროსექსუალობა
hetero in Kurdish: Heteroseksûelî
hetero in Hungarian: Heteroszexualitás
hetero in Macedonian: Хетеросексуалност
hetero in Dutch: Heteroseksualiteit
hetero in Japanese: 異性愛
hetero in Norwegian: Heterofili
hetero in Polish: Heteroseksualizm
hetero in Portuguese: Heterossexualidade
hetero in Romanian: Heterosexualitate
hetero in Russian: Гетеросексуальность
hetero in Simple English: Heterosexuality
hetero in Serbian: Хетеросексуалност
hetero in Finnish: Heteroseksuaalisuus
hetero in Swedish: Heterosexualitet
hetero in Thai: รักต่างเพศ
hetero in Turkish: Heteroseksüellik
hetero in Ukrainian: Гетеросексуальність
hetero in Yiddish: העטראסעקסואליטעט
hetero in Contenese: 異性戀
hetero in Chinese: 异性恋