1 the act of forming something; "the constitution of a PTA group last year"; "it was the establishment of his reputation"; "he still remembers the organization of the club" [syn: constitution, formation, organization, organisation]
2 an organization founded and united for a specific purpose [syn: institution]
3 the persons (or committees or departments etc.) who make up a body for the purpose of administering something; "he claims that the present administration is corrupt"; "the governance of an association is responsible to its members"; "he quickly became recognized as a member of the establishment" [syn: administration, governance, governing body, brass, organization, organisation]
4 a public or private structure (business or governmental or educational) including buildings and equipment for business or residence
5 any large organization
6 (ecology) the process by which a plant or animal becomes established in a new habitat [syn: ecesis]
7 the cognitive process of establishing a valid proof [syn: validation]
- The act of establishing; a ratifying or ordaining; settlement; confirmation.
- Since their establishment of the company in 1984, they have grown into a global business.
- The state of being established, founded, etc.; fixed state.
- The firm celebrated twenty years since their establishment by updating their look.
- That which is established; as a form of government, a permanent organization, business or force, or the place where one is
permanently fixed for residence.
- Pedro's is a fine establishment serving a variety of delicious
- Exposing the shabby parts of the establishment.
- Pedro's is a fine establishment serving a variety of delicious food.
- The establishment: the ruling class or authority group in a
society; especially, an entrenched authority dedicated
to preserving the status quo.
- It's often necessary to question the establishment to get things done.
the act of establishing
- Finnish: perustaminen
- French: établissement
- Greek: ίδρυση (idrísi)
- Hebrew: ייסוד (Yisood)
- Japanese: 設立(せつりつ, setsuritsu)
- Portuguese: estabelecimento
- Russian: основание (osnovánije) ; установление (ustanovlénije)
- Spanish: establecimiento
- Swedish: etablerande , etablering
- Vietnamese: sự thành lập
the state of being established
that which is established
slang: the ruling class or authority group
- The Establishment was a term for a traditional conservative ruling class and its institutions. In this context the term may also refer to that which is mainstream.
- The Establishment (club), an English Satire club in the early 1960s, founded by Peter Cook
- The Establishment (events), an Edinburgh / London based arts series, programmed by Kieran J Healey
- Establishment of religion refers to investing of political/social power in a particular state of faith.
- The Establishment (comic book) is a comic book produced by Wildstorm comics in 2001-2003 featuring a British team of superheroes.
- The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment (United States Constitution)
- The Establishment (Pakistan) a commonly used term to refer to Pakistan's dominant Military-Civil Oligarchy which exercises huge powers over policy.
- The Right of Establishment, one of the Four Freedoms granted by the European Union.
John Bull, Rasputin, Svengali, Uncle Sam, VIP, Washington, Whitehall, access, bad influence, baron, big gun, big man, big name, big wheel, bigwig, brass, brass hat, bureaucracy, celebrity, court, dignitary, dignity, directorate, elder, eminence grise, father, figure, five-percenter, friend at court, good influence, gray eminence, great man, heavyweight, hidden hand, hierarchy, higher echelons, higher-ups, important person, influence, influence peddler, influencer, ingroup, interests, key, kingmaker, lion, lobby, lobbyist, lords of creation, magnate, man of influence, man of mark, management, manipulator, ministry, mogul, nabob, name, notability, notable, officialdom, open sesame, panjandrum, person of renown, personage, personality, pillar of society, power, power elite, powers that be, prelacy, pressure group, ruling circle, ruling class, ruling classes, sachem, sinister influence, somebody, something, special interests, special-interest group, the Crown, the Establishment, the administration, the authorities, the government, the great, the ingroup, the interests, the people upstairs, the power elite, the power structure, the top, them, they, top brass, top people, tycoon, very important person, wheeler-dealer, wire-puller, worthyA, Old Guard, absolute indication, agency, alpha, anchorage, animal kingdom, architecture, aristocracy, ascertainment, assurance, atelier, barbershop, barons, beauty parlor, beauty shop, beginning, bench, blast-off, boutique, building, burden of proof, business, butcher shop, certification, chain of being, chain store, check, checking, class structure, co-op, collation, colonization, commencement, company, concern, concession, conclusive evidence, confirmation, constitution, construct, construction, cooperative, corporation, countinghouse, country store, cream, creation, cutting edge, damning evidence, dawn, deep-rootedness, deep-seatedness, demonstration, department store, desk, determination, dime store, discount house, discount store, domain, edge, edifice, effectuation, elite, embedment, emporium, ensuring, enterprise, entrenchment, erection, fabric, facility, firm, five-and-ten, fixation, fixedness, fixity, fixture, flying start, formation, foundation, founding, fresh start, general store, hierarchy, house, implantation, inauguration, inception, incontrovertible evidence, indisputable evidence, infixion, initiation, installation, installment, institute, institution, investiture, inveteracy, ironclad proof, jump-off, kick-off, kingdom, leading edge, lodgment, loft, lords of creation, magasin, mail-order house, market, mart, materialization, mineral kingdom, mooring, natural hierarchy, new departure, nobility, office, oncoming, onset, onus, onus probandi, opening, organization, origin, origination, outbreak, outfit, outset, overlapping, packaged house, parlor, pecking order, peopling, pile, plantation, population, post, power elite, power structure, prefab, prefabrication, proof, pyramid, realization, realm, reassurance, reassurement, retail store, ruling circles, ruling class, running start, salon, send-off, setting in motion, setting-up, settlement, settling, shop, skyscraper, square one, stabilization, start, start-off, starting point, store, structure, studio, substantiation, supermarket, superstructure, sure sign, sweatshop, take-off, the Church, the Establishment, the administration, the authorities, the best, the best people, the brass, the government, the power structure, top people, tower, trading post, unmistakable sign, upper class, upper crust, validation, variety shop, variety store, vegetable kingdom, verification, warehouse, wareroom, wholesale house, work site, work space, workbench, workhouse, working space, workplace, workroom, workshop, worktable