2 movement that causes the formation of a curve [syn: bending]
3 curved segment (of a road or river or railroad track etc.) [syn: curve]
4 an angular or rounded shape made by folding; "a fold in the napkin"; "a crease in his trousers"; "a plication on her blouse"; "a flexure of the colon"; "a bend of his elbow" [syn: fold, crease, plication, flexure, crimp]
5 a town in central Oregon at the eastern foot of the Cascade Range
6 diagonal line traversing a shield from the upper right corner to the lower left [syn: bend dexter]
2 change direction; "The road bends"
3 cause (a plastic object) to assume a crooked or angular form; "bend the rod"; "twist the dough into a braid"; "the strong man could turn an iron bar" [syn: flex, deform, twist, turn] [ant: unbend]
4 bend one's back forward from the waist on down; "he crouched down"; "She bowed before the Queen"; "The young man stooped to pick up the girl's purse" [syn: crouch, stoop, bow]
EtymologyFrom benden < bendan to bind or bend (a bow).
- Rhymes with: -ɛnd
- To cause (something) to change its shape into a curve, by physical force, chemical action, or any other
- If you bend the pipe too far, it will break.
- Don’t bend your knees.
- In the context of "transitive|nautical": To tie, as in securing a line to a cleat; to shackle a chain to an anchor; make fast.
- Bend the sail to the yard.
- In the context of "transitive|music": To smoothly change the
pitch of a note.
- You should bend the G sligthly sharp in the next measure.
- In the context of "intransitive|nautical": To swing the body when rowing.
- To become curved.
- Look at the trees bending in the wind.
- To bow properly, bend at the waist.
- To change direction.
- The road bends to the right
to shape into a curve
to tie a line
- Dutch: knopen, bevestigen, vastmaken
- Finnish: sitoa, kiinnittää
- Italian: ammanigliare
to change the pitch
- Dutch: buigen, corrigeren
to swing the body when rowing
- Dutch: buigen
to become curved
to change direction
- Dutch: afbuigen, buigen, draaien, gaan
- Finnish: kääntyä
- Italian: piegarsi, curvarsi
- A curve.
- There's a sharp bend in the road ahead.
- Any of the various knots which join the ends of two lines.
- In the context of "in plural|medicine|diving": (the bends) A
severe condition caused by
excessively quick decompression, causing
bubbles of nitrogen to
form in the blood;
- A diver who stays deep for too long must ascend very slowly in order to prevent the bends.
- One of the honourable ordinaries formed by two diagonal lines drawn from the dexter chief to the sinister base; it generally occupies a fifth part of the shield if uncharged, but if charged one third.
- Dutch: bocht
- Finnish: mutka
- German: Kurve
- Portuguese: curva
- Slovene: zavoj
- Dutch: verbindingsknoop
- Finnish: kytky
- Finnish: sukeltajantauti
- Finnish: palkki
- Portuguese: banda
Bend may refer to:
- Bend, Oregon, a city
- Bend, an album by 8stops7
- Bend (heraldry), a colored band that runs from the upper left (as seen by the viewer) corner of the shield to the lower right
- Decompression sickness, commonly "the bends"
- The Bends, an album by Radiohead
- Bend knot, a general term for a knot used to tie two ropes together
- Bend (guitar), a guitar technique
- Bending for harmonica
- Bend, a curvature in a pipe, tube, or pipeline (see - bend radius)
- Bend Airport
bend in German: Bend
bend in Japanese: ベンド
bend in Portuguese: Bend
bend in Volapük: Bend
L, S-curve, aberrancy, aberration, accommodate, accommodate with, accord, achievement, adapt, adapt to, adjust, adjust to, affect, agree with, aim, aim at, alerion, angle, angle off, animal charge, annulet, apex, apply, arc, arch, argent, armorial bearings, armory, arms, assimilate to, azure, band, bandage, bandeau, bar, bar sinister, baton, be guided by, bear off, bearings, beat down, belt, bend, bend back, bend sinister, bend the knee, bend the neck, bend to, bending, bending the knee, bent, bias, bifurcate, bifurcation, bight, billet, bind, bind up, blazon, blazonry, bob, bob a curtsy, bob down, bordure, bow, bow and scrape, bow down, bow the head, bow to, bowing, bowing and scraping, brace, branch, branch off, branching off, break, break down, bring low, bring to terms, broad arrow, buckle, buckle down, bundle, cadency mark, cant, canton, cave, chain, change the bearing, channel, chaplet, charge, chevron, chief, chime in with, cinch, circuitousness, coat of arms, cockatrice, coin, collapse, color, comply, comply with, compose, conduce, conflexure, conform, conquer, contort, contribute, corner, coronet, correct, correspond, cower, crank, crescent, crest, cringe, cringe to, crook, cross, cross moline, crotchet, crouch, crouch before, crown, crumple, crush, curl, curtsy, curvation, curvature, curve, declination, decurve, deflect, deflection, depart from, departure, determine, detour, deviance, deviancy, deviate, deviation, device, deviousness, devote, diagonal, difference, differencing, diffract, diffuse, digress, digression, dipping the colors, direct, directionize, discipline, discursion, disperse, dispose, distort, divagate, divagation, divaricate, divarication, diverge, divergence, diversion, divert, do homage, do obeisance, do up, dogleg, dome, double, drift, drifting, duck, eagle, elbow, ell, embow, ermine, ermines, erminites, erminois, errantry, escutcheon, excursion, excursus, exorbitation, falcon, fall down before, fall in with, fell, fess, fess point, field, file, fit, fix, fix on, flanch, flatten, flection, fleur-de-lis, flex, flexure, focus, fold up, follow, fork, fret, fur, furcate, furcation, fusil, garland, geanticline, gear to, genuflect, genuflection, geosyncline, get down, gird, girdle, girt, girth, give, give way, gnarl, go, go by, griffin, grovel, gules, gyron, hairpin, hairpin turn, harmonize, hatchment, have a tendency, head, heel, helmet, heraldic device, hold on, homage, honor point, hook, humble, humiliate, hump, hunch, hunch down, impalement, impaling, inclination, incline, incurvate, incurve, indirection, induce, inescutcheon, inflect, inflection, influence, jaundice, knee, kneel, kneel to, kneeling, knot, knuckle to, kowtow, label, lace, lash, lead, lean, leash, level at, lion, look to, loop, lozenge, lurch, make a leg, make a reverence, make conform, make obeisance, making a leg, mantling, marshaling, martlet, mascle, master, meander, meet, metal, mold, motto, move, mullet, nod, nombril point, nook, obeisance, oblique, oblique angle, oblique figure, oblique line, obliquity, obsequiousness, observe, octofoil, or, ordinary, orle, overmaster, override, overwhelm, oxbow, pale, paly, pean, pererration, persuade, pheon, point, point at, point to, predispose, prejudice, prejudice against, prejudice the issue, prepossess, present, presenting arms, prompt, prostrate, prostration, pull, purpure, put down, quarter, quartering, quell, quoin, rambling, reconcile, rectify, recurve, redound to, reduce, reflect, reflection, reflex, refract, relax, relent, retroflex, reverence, rhomboid, ride down, rope, rose, round, rub off corners, sable, sag, salaam, saltire, salutation, salute, scatter, scrape, scratch comma, screw, scrouch down, scutcheon, separatrix, serve, servility, set, set toward, settle, shape, sheer, shield, shift, shifting, shifting course, shifting path, show a tendency, sight on, skew, slant, slash, slue, smash, soften up, solidus, splice, spread eagle, spring, squat, standing at attention, steer, stoop, straighten, strap, straying, subdue, subjugate, submission, submissiveness, submit, subordinary, suit, supination, suppress, swaddle, swag, swathe, sway, sweep, swerve, swerving, swinging, tack, tally with, tend, tenne, throw, tie, tie up, tincture, tinge, tone, torse, train, train upon, trample down, trample underfoot, transverse, tread underfoot, trend, tressure, truckle to, truss, turn, turn aside, turn awry, turn upon, turning, twist, tyrannize, unbend, unicorn, unman, vair, vanquish, variation, vary, vault, veer, verge, vert, vertex, virgule, wallow, wandering, warp, wear down, weigh with, welter, wind, wire, work, work toward, wrap, wrap up, wreath, wrench, wrest, wring, writhe, yale, yaw, yield, zag, zig, zigzag