1 conforming to fact and therefore worthy of belief; "an authentic account by an eyewitness"; "reliable information" [syn: reliable]
2 not counterfeit or copied; "an authentic signature"; "a bona fide manuscript"; "an unquestionable antique"; "photographs taken in a veritable bull ring" [syn: bona fide, unquestionable, veritable]
EtymologyFrom Greek authentikos, 'principal, genuine'.
- Of undisputed origin; genuine.
- Conforming to fact and therefore worthy of trust, reliance, or belief.
Authenticity refers to the truthfulness of origins, attributions, commitments, sincerity, devotion, and intentions.
Authenticity or Authentic may refer to:
- Authentication, having passed the tests thereof
- Authenticity (philosophy), a particular way of dealing with the external world, being faithful to internal rather than external ideas
- Authentic performance refers to a movement in classical movement also known as historically informed performance
- Authenticity (reenactment), in historical reenactment, a measure of how close an item, prop, action, weapon, or custom is, to what would actually have been used or done in the time period being depicted
- Authentic (album), an album by Chris Tomlin
- Authentic (Joey Pearson album)
- Authentic Records, a record label
- Authentic (software), payments platform software from Alaric International
authentic in German: Authentizität
authentic in Finnish: Autenttisuus
authentic in Russian: Аутентичность
Christian, aboveboard, absolute, accepted, accurate, actual, adducible, admissible, approved, attestative, attestive, authoritative, avant-garde, based on, bona fide, candid, canonical, card-carrying, cathedral, certain, circumstantial, cognizable, conclusive, conventional, convincing, correct, creative, credible, cumulative, customary, damning, de facto, decisive, dependable, determinative, dinkum, documentary, documented, evangelical, evidential, evidentiary, ex cathedra, ex parte, eye-witness, factual, fair and square, faithful, final, firm, firsthand, following the letter, for real, founded on, foursquare, fresh, genuine, good, good-faith, grounded on, hearsay, historical, honest, honest-to-God, imaginative, implicit, inartificial, incontrovertible, indicative, indisputable, indubitable, irrefutable, irresistible, knowable, lawful, legitimate, lifelike, literal, magisterial, material, natural, naturalistic, new, novel, nuncupative, of the faith, official, on the level, on the square, on the up-and-up, open, open and aboveboard, original, orthodox, orthodoxical, overwhelming, positive, presumptive, probative, proper, pukka, pure, questionless, real, realistic, received, recognizable, reliable, revolutionary, right, rightful, scriptural, significant, simon-pure, simple, sincere, single-hearted, solid, sound, square, square-dealing, square-shooting, standard, sterling, straight, straight-shooting, substantial, suggestive, sure, sure-enough, symptomatic, telling, textual, traditional, traditionalistic, true, true to life, true to nature, true to reality, true-blue, trustworthy, trusty, unadulterated, unaffected, unalloyed, unassumed, unassuming, uncolored, unconcocted, uncopied, uncounterfeited, undeniable, underived, undisguised, undisguising, undisputed, undistorted, undoubted, unexaggerated, unfabricated, unfanciful, unfeigned, unfeigning, unfictitious, unflattering, unimagined, unimitated, uninvented, unique, unpretended, unpretending, unqualified, unquestionable, unromantic, unsimulated, unspecious, unsynthetic, unvarnished, up-and-up, valid, verbal, verbatim, veridical, verisimilar, veritable, very, weighty, word-for-word