ad n : a public promotion of some product or service [syn: advertisement, advertizement, advertising, advertizing, advert] adv : in the Christian era; used before dates after the supposed year Christ was born; "in AD 200" [syn: A.D., anno Domini]A.D. adv : in the Christian era; used before dates after the supposed year Christ was born; "in AD 200" [syn: AD, anno Domini]
- Rhymes with: -æd
Etymology 1From a shortening of the word advertisement.
- Short form of advertisement.
- I have placed both of the ads in the newspaper as instructed.
- (1): (British) advert
short form of advert
- French: pub
Etymology 2From a shortening of the word advantage.
Etymology 3From ad "to, on"
- a maximis ad minima
- ad absurdum
- ad arbitrium
- ad astra
- ad eundem
- ad extremum
- ad gloriam
- ad hoc
- ad hominem
- ad infinitum
- ad int
- ad interim
- ad kalendas Graecas
- ad lib
- ad libitum
- ad loc
- ad majorem Dei gloriam
- ad nauseam
- ad ovo usque ad mala
- ad referendum
- ad rem
- ad unguem
- ad utrumque paratus
- ad val
- ad valorem
- ad verbum
- ad vivum
- amicus usque ad aras
- argumentum ad baculum
- habeas corpus ad subjiciendum
- per angusta ad augusta
- reductio ad absurdum
- sic itur ad astra
- subpoena ad testificandum
- terminus ad quem
EtymologyCognates include English at.
- Lucretius, from
the fourth book of De Rerum
- Fugere ad puppim colles campique videntur.
- The hills and fields appear to fly toward the ship.
- Pliny the
Elder, from book II of Naturalis
- Meridie umbrae cadunt ad septentrionem, ortu vero ad occasum.
- At noon the shadows fall towards the north, [and] at sunrise, point to the west.
- in a direction upwards, frequent in works of poets:
- Lucretius, from the fourth book of De Rerum Natura
- ad- (same word modified and used as a prefix)
- The word ad is an antithesis to ab (just as in is to ex, in a progressive order of relation, ad denotes, first, the direction toward an object; then the reaching of or attaining to it; and finally, the being at or near it.
- Often used of geographical position of a place in reference to
the points of compass, with the verbs iaceo, vergo, specto etc.:
- Asia iacet ad meridiem et austrum, Europa ad septentriones et aquilonem.
- Asia lies near midday and south, Europe near north and north. (two words for north)
- Ad Atticam vergente.
- Inclining to Attic.
- ad amussim
- ad hominem
- ad dēnseō
- ad doceō
- ad equitō
- ad hūc
- ad legō
- ad minister
- ad misceō
- ad moveō
- ad nūntiō
- ad sentior
- ad omnia
- ad sequor
- ad serō
- ad serviō
- ad similis
- ad similō
- ad sistō
- ad suō
- ad surgō
- ad vehō
AD and Ad may refer to:
Media and culture
- A. D. (television), a 1985 miniseries concerning early Christian history
- A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge, a serialized webcomic on SMITH Magazine
- Ad, columnist in the English newspaper, The Saturday Sport (see also International Fanny Magnet)
- AD (band), a Christian rock band from 1984-1988
- AD (finnish band), Acción Directa, a Finnish industrial band.
- AD Music, record label
- Algemeen Dagblad, a Dutch newspaper
- American Dad!, a Fox Network animated program
- Anno Domini (band), a death metal band from Sydney, Australia, who formed at Turramurra High School in c. 2005.
- Anno Domini (gallery), a contemporary art gallery in San Jose, California
- Arrested Development, a Fox Network TV program
- Art director, the administrator in charge of art and design for a magazine or newspaper
- Assistant director, a film crew member who manages various tasks
- "at", "to", or "for", in some Latin phrases (such as ad lib or ad nauseam)
- Athletic director, the administrator of the athletics program, usually at an educational institution
- Academic Decathlon, a United States high school based academic competition
Politics and history
- Andorra, a small country in the Pyrenees
- Action Directe (terrorist group), a French left-wing terrorist group
- Democratic Action (Spanish: Acción Democrática), a Venezuelan social democratic party
- Democratic Alternative (Malta) (Maltese: Alternattiva Demokratika), the Maltese Green party
- Aad (Omani tribe), a destroyed civilization mentioned in the Quran
- Anno Diocletiani, the Era of (Emperor) Diocletian, an alternate year-numbering start date
- Air defence, anti-aircraft weaponry and systems
- Accidental discharge, the mistaken firing of a firearm
- Active duty, a status of full duty or service, usually referencing full service in the armed forces
- Destroyer Tender (US Navy Hull Classification: AD), support ships to aid the operation of a fleet of destroyers
- The Air Department, part of the British Admiralty
Science and technology
- Adenovirus, viruses of the family Adenoviridae.
- Alzheimer's disease, a disease leading to the degeneration of neural function and dementia, usually seen in older people
- Active Directory, a component of Microsoft Windows that provides distributed user management and authentication
- Aggregate demand, the total demand curve of an entire economy that is the sum of each individual's demand
- Automatic differentiation, a way to speedily compute derivatives in computer programming
- Axiom of determinacy, a set theory axiom inconsistent with the Axiom of Choice
- Autodynamics, an alternate to special relativity proposed by Ricardo Carezani in physics
- Audio description, a narration track for blind and visually impaired viewers of media such as TV and film
- Administrative domain, a collection of hosts and routers into one network
- Analog Devices, a multinational producer of semiconductor devices.
- Analog-to-digital converter (A/D), a circuit which converts continuous analog signals to discrete digital values
- Active Disassembly, a technology involving specially designed building materials and components which are sturdy yet can easily be decomposed
- Autonomic Dysreflexia, a condition in which "unreachable" parts of the nervous system (for instance, those beneath a damaged spine) malfunction
- Atypical depression, a depression that still allows one to feel positive moods.
- Adamantyl (Ad), an abbreviation in organic chemistry for Adamantyl
- Sharpless asymmetric dihydroxylation, an abbreviation in organic chemistry for Sharpless asymmetric dihydroxylation
- Associate's Degree, an academic degree
ad in Czech: AD
ad in Danish: AD
ad in German: AD
ad in Spanish: AD
ad in Esperanto: Ad
ad in French: AD
ad in Korean: AD
ad in Italian: AD
ad in Hungarian: AD
ad in Dutch: AD
ad in Japanese: AD
ad in Norwegian: AD
ad in Polish: AD
ad in Portuguese: AD
ad in Kölsch: AD (Watt ėßß datt?)
ad in Russian: AD
ad in Slovenian: AD
ad in Finnish: Ad
ad in Swedish: AD
ad in Turkish: Ad